Thursday, September 17, 2026

Sept 17th Exit Slip

I found the sit spot activity interesting because of what it made me think about in terms of perspective in teaching. I think it could be valuable to provide my students with periodic changes of perspective. Particularly in a subject like math where many times students are quietly sitting and working on projects our brains can start to feel “cobwebby”. There are big changes that can and should be made to how we teach to avoid this (ensuring our lessons are more varied and engaging etc.). However, thinking about perspective reminds me about little changes that can be made to help with this problem. Changing classroom layouts could be a helpful trick to reignite kids learning. As much as it might not change anything in terms of content or how the content is being taught, I think a small change in perspective could be beneficial to students all on its own. I found that moving to a different location got me thinking in a different way and I would hope that students would find the same if they were given a change of perspective. I also found standing up and physically moving to a different spot helpful for my thinking and this is something that I think could be useful in my teaching as well. There are certainly ways that the sit spot activity could be used to deliver or work on math curriculum. However, I was most impacted by the idea of a change of perspective because I like learning ways to help students that go beyond how to deliver curriculum. I feel that having more varied tools to help my students will make me a better teacher.

I also found the discussion we had at the end of class interesting. It was cool to see how we all took the prompt of the article and the videos we watched last class and had completely different conversations. I appreciated hearing about what aspects of teaching everyone discussed and their thoughts on them. Getting the chance to have many different conversations with many different people about many different aspects of teaching is something I will find helpful when I go into my practicum and develop my own method of teaching. The conversation at the end of class was a great snapshot of all the different conversations about teaching that I can and will have during this degree and I was very happy to hear all the interesting thoughts everyone had. It was fascinating to see where different groups took the conversation despite it being based off of the same original material.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oct 1st Entrance Slip

I have always found any discussion of ethical consumerism and when to buy items vs. when to make them and, what the benefits of each of thes...